Monday, November 5, 2007

3.1

Bit of codicil to the last bit, it's only a few hundred words and cheesier than hell, but I need every word I can squeeze out of this, this isn't easy for me

“You haven’t changed so much,” Jen said, smiling and set her hand against my face, “you’re still funny, and you’ve got sandpaper on your face.”
“Hey, I need that sandpaper some times.”
She pulled her hand back and sighed, “Some day, I’m going to make you talk to me without the the jokes.”
I felt a strange little pit open somewhere inside me and my eyes started to glass over, “Hey, it’s a bit early to start getting maudlin, don’t you think?”
Jen rubbed her face in a gesture I knew all too well, “Yeah, you’re right again, but no dances this time ok? Just walk me home.”
“It’s a shitty cold night, you know I love nothing more than walking on nights like tonight,” I said, extracting my wallet and flipping a few bills on the bar.
“No, hey, let me get my half,” she protested, reaching for her wallet.
I shook my head and grabbed her hand, “Let’s just go walk.”
Outside the bar, the night was bitingly cold but clear, the lack of haze letting the stars fight through the glow of the city. I zipped my jacket up and shivered violently, trying to shake off the warmth of Tom’s.
Jen smiled, “You always fight the cold, instead of just being cold.”
“Nice talk from a girl a who just came from Florida, when was the last time you saw snow?”
“Two days before I moved to Florida.”
“Well tonight might be the next time,” I said and offered her my arm.
We walked down the road together in silence for a while, I, watching her as she turned her head back and forth, looking for the changes in the old neighborhood and shaking her head when she saw them. We reached her parents house and I stopped at the stairs to her front porch.
“What is it?” she asked.
“Just been a long time since I walked you up to this door, it feels strange, like I’ve stepped back in life for a moment.”
She grabbed my hand and pulled me up the stairs to the door, “Step back just a little more,” she whispered and kissed me. It was quick, and a little cold and then she disappeared inside. I turned around and stood at the edge of the porch for a moment.
“Mike, you’re in trouble,” I said to myself and stepped off into the night.







No comments: